These days, IT services budgets are getting smaller while IT environments are getting more complex. No one can risk losing clients over inefficient service desk processes that can't keep up with this evolving industry. Streamlining processes through an automated service desk system will help increase the productivity of your service team. Automation also helps your company benefit from lower service delivery costs, greater client satisfaction and increased profitability. The help desk is designed to make the IT pros life easier. With help desk functionality, interactions are simplified, information is organised, and the process is just more efficient. This all sounds great, but is it enough?
If you invest in a stand-alone service desk system a number of efficiency issues become apparent:
- How is billable time reported to finance? Is there a seamless process for transferring this information in a timely and accurate way? With increasingly complex billing models differing per customer can a stand-alone service desk system produce the required reports to ensure no invoice is missed?
- How do you know if support contracts are profitable? If support calls and contractual agreements are in different silos, analysis could involve some tricky manual data manipulation.
- What happens when you want to record overhead time?Time spent on internal projects or other non-billable work needs to be recorded, monitored and analysed in order to get true productivity reports per individual, team, customer or product. How does this data come together to produce meaningful productivity reports?
- How does your service desk team figure out if a call is one that the team should be handling?How do you know if a customer, or their software or equipment is still under contract? Is the customer hold for some reason? How is this information flowing through into the Service Desk system? Any flaws in communication could be costly.
- How do you link internal development and project work?With separate systems for service desk and for back office developers, inefficiencies can easily develop, with potential lack of clarity on either side about which tickets have been closed and which remain open. Clearly, if there is any confusion on job status, SLAs can be missed and customer service levels falter.
The answer? Well, it could be to look into an integrated system. A system that encompasses CRM, accounting, timesheets, expenses, timesheets, contracts and also gives you a comprehensive service desk ticketing system that integrates 1st line and 2nd line support with back office development.
Working with a single database on a single platform will help streamline your business and therefore improve profitability, provide a sound base for growth and give you access to host of invaluable analytics through which to inform your business decisions.
If you choose a cloud based system with a monthly subscription per user you may be pleasantly surprised not only by the usage cost but also with how quickly you can get your entire business up and running.
About the Author: Harmony Business Systems Ltd (HBS) is the company behind HarmonyPSA, the most complete cloud PSA software on the market. Developed with functionality to cater for even the most complex needs of MSPs, VARs, ISVs and Professional Services organisations, HarmonyPSA truly is the next generation of PSA systems. HBS is an independent company based in the UK. Follow HarmonyPSA on Twitter